I think that I have learned a lot about REAL heroes in writing my current book.
* Heroes’ stories are rarely told. Celebrities tweet when they are getting a haircut.
* Celebrities believe that the world revolves around them. Heroes just want a better world.
* Heroes take pride in the achievements of their peers. Celebrities perceive that they have no peers.
* Celebrities see the world. Heroes visit foreign lands too, but they may never come home.
*Heroes are humble. There is no money in being a humble celebrity.
* Celebrities have fame and fortune. Heroes have a mortgage.
* Heroes often die through acts of selflessness. Celebrities often die through acts of selfishness.
In this world, the line between heroism and celebrity has become terribly blurred. That is not to say that there are some celebrities who have wonderful hearts and do tremendous work; there are. What I am saying is that there are amazing, anonymous people working in research laboratories, hanging from helicopter winches and serving in foreign lands. Let’s not forget them.
Please, let’s not confuse our heroes and our celebrities.